Are you on the verge of burnout? Do you know what steps you can take to avoid burnout? Do you suffer from ‘survivor’s guilt’?
In this episode, Joe Sanok speaks with Anna Lindberg Cedar about dealing with some trauma.
We’ve created a lot of stuff, i.e.: opt ins, PDFs, e-books. At Practice of the Practice, we’re constantly developing things and making them accessible to you. But, sometimes, it’s hard to keep track of it all. So we’ve set up a landing page, practiceofthepractice.com/resources, where we have put all of our free stuff. We have five free e-books there: the ‘Practice of the Practice’ e-book; the ‘HIPAA and Security’ e-book that I wrote with Roy Huggins; the ‘Adding Insurance to Your Practice’ e-book; the ‘How to Start a Group Practice’ e-book that Alison and I created; and the ‘How to Start a Practice That Thrives’ e-book.
Also, we’ve got checklists there galore! We’ve got your ‘Website’ checklist, your ‘Pinterest’ checklist, your ’28-Step Checklist for Starting a Practice’, and your ‘Group Practice’ checklist. Also, we’ve got some guides there: there’s ‘A Guide to Creating a Website’, ‘Comprehensive Guide to a Kick-Ass Content Strategy’, ‘A Guide to Start a Private Practice’, and tons more infographics, and worksheets. We have over 20 different, free resources there for you! It’s over at practiceofthepractice.com/resources. Go grab them before we start charging!
Meet Anna Lindberg Cedar
Anna Lindberg Cedar, MPA, LCSW is a Bay Area psychotherapist who specializes in burnout prevention. Anna integrates burnout prevention principles throughout her work counseling individuals, consulting with executive teams, and providing clinical supervision to therapists. Many of Anna’s burnout prevention strategies are drawn from expert training in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) , as well as more than 20 years of learned experience working as a helping professional. Find out more about Anna’s burnout prevention counseling and consulting work on her website and in her writings as a Contributor to The Mighty and a Top Writer with Medium. You can also find her on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
- Website: http://www.annacedar.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annacedartherapy/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/anna-lindberg-cedar-mpa-lcsw-9080b6b/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/annacedar
Anna Lindberg Cedar’s Story
Anna started her practice a year ago after spending 20 years working in non-profits. She’s worked with torture survivors and in a federal detention centre. Anna wanted more flexibility in her work and now specialises in burn-out prevention.
In This Podcast
In this episode, Anna provides some insight into her profound experience working with torture survivors and several other NGOs. She also speaks around how she came to start a private practice focused on avoiding burnout. Anna shares some tips around how to properly take care of yourself, as a counselor, and ensure you don’t burn out.
Self-Care for Counselors
Having counselled torture survivors, Anna had to become good at self-care. She shares the following tips to avoid burnout:
- Doing effective work (seeing results)
- Understand the body’s fight or flight response
- Give yourself permission to take a break (even in the session)
- Rituals of separation at the end of your day
- Maintaining your happiness through:
- Flow (experience)
“Seeing the incredible resilience of the human spirit is what kept me going in my work with torture survivors.”
Tips for the Start-Up Phase of Private Practice
- Love the process and not just the outcome
- Deal with your inner critic
- Have good, external boundaries, i.e.: don’t take cases that are not for you out of desperation
- Maintain your internal boundaries, i.e.: how you treat yourself
- Get support, i.e.: professional consultation group and family support
- 28-Step Checklist for Starting a Private Practice
- Next Level Practice Community
- Kip App
- Dr. Angela Johnson is Chasing the Mind Series 1 of 5 Five Fierce Females | PoP 278
Meet Joe Sanok
Joe Sanok helps counselors to create thriving practices that are the envy of other counselors. He has helped counselors to grow their businesses by 50-500% and is proud of all the private practice owners that are growing their income, influence, and impact on the world. Click here to explore consulting with Joe.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!