Do you want to transition to working mostly in private practice? Are you desiring accountability to help you stick to your goals? How do you maintain your work-life balance?
In this podcast episode, Joe Sanok speaks with Beth Gustin who left her full-time job for private practice.
Meet Beth Gustin
Beth is a Licensed Professional Counselor and EMDR Certified Therapist. She has been working in the mental health field for 15 years. Beth works from a strength-based perspective, helping clients to find their unique set of strategies to change the aspects of their life they wish to address.
Beth utilizes a variety of modalities to meet her client’s needs including Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy, and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR).
Email her at: email@example.com
In This Podcast
- Key aspects to move from full-time to part-time
- Guiding principles Beth used from Next Level Practice
- Maintaining work-life balance
- Beth’s advice to private practitioners
Key aspects to move from full-time to part-time
[Have] clients that [you] can see once a week to once every other week. I was working lots of hours … but building up that clientele so that I could maintain them once I went part-time. (Beth Gustin)
Beth was wanting to move from working full-time in community mental health to part-time to start her practice.
To do this, she worked hard to build a solid foundation of clients that she could see sporadically to make the transition easier.
She also kept track of her long-term and big-picture goals to help keep her focused.
Guiding principles Beth used from Next Level Practice
- Encouragement: the Next Level Practice leaders are hands-on and clinician-focused so that the needs of the clinicians are centered.
- Accountability: clinicians work in small groups in Next Level Practice. There they can learn together, from one another, and help encourage each other to take the necessary steps forward to grow their practices together.
The small groups and accountability partners [are] helpful … I sometimes struggle to meet the small goals that help me reach the big picture of where I would like to be, so having that consistent accountability [was valuable]. (Beth Gustin)
- Education and resources: Next Level Practice provides clinicians with lots of information about marketing and how to put their name out into the market which helps them to launch their practice.
Maintaining work-life balance
Make use of scheduling. Schedule your downtime, schedule your appointments, schedule your brainstorming, and schedule your work hours.
Having those boundaries as to when is work [time] and when is not work are so important. (Joe Sanok)
Help yourself out by creating structure around your work habits so that they do not infiltrate your life in an unhealthy way.
Beth’s advice to private practitioners
Maintain your authenticity. Follow what you truly want to do. How can you take the steps to make that happen?
Books mentioned in this episode:
Useful Links mentioned in this episode:
- Visit Beth’s practice website, Transitioning Through Change
- Connect with her on Facebook and LinkedIn
- Email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request your blueprint health demo: bph.link/joe
- Learn more and join for Noble for FREE at noble.health/Joe
- FIP conference: April 21st to 24th 2022
- Blueprint helps clinicians enhance client outcomes through the power and promise of digital measurement-based care. Learn more and request your demo at: bph.link/joe
- Noble. Serve more people in less time, support a worthy cause, and earn passive income. Learn more and join for FREE at noble.health/Joe
Check out these additional resources:
- Anna Saviano is brainstorming how to help new clinicians | PoP 685
- Apply to work together
- Sign up for Next Level Practice — Cohort Open!
- Events – click on the event’s dropdown
- Sign up to join the free webinars and events here
- Podcast Launch School
- Practice of the Practice Podcast Network
- Free resources to help you start, grow, and scale
- Apply to work with us — decision-making matrix for your next steps
Meet Joe Sanok
Joe Sanok helps counselors to create thriving practices that are the envy of other counselors. He has helped counselors to grow their businesses by 50-500% and is proud of all the private practice owners that are growing their income, influence, and impact on the world. Click here to explore consulting with Joe.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!