Do you want to boost and supplement your income? Which phase of life are you – and your practice – currently in? Can you create streams of income that will support life’s transitions?
In this podcast episode, Alison Pidgeon speaks with Gordon Brewer about creating sustainable streams of income that can help you transition in life.
Podcast Sponsor: Brighter Vision
When you’re in private practice it can be tough to find the time to even review your marketing efforts, let alone to make improvements where needed.
By first understanding your practice and what makes it unique, Brighter Vision’s team of developers are then able to create you a beautiful website that will attract your ideal clients and get them to contact you. Better yet, they also provide unlimited tech support to make sure it’s always up-to-date, and professional search engine optimization to make sure you rank high in online searches – all at no additional cost.
But best of all, we’ve worked with them to create a special offer just for Grow A Group Practice listeners. Get your first 3 months of website service completely FREE. To take advantage of this amazing deal, head to brightervision.com/joe.
Meet Gordon Brewer
Gordon Brewer, LMFT is the person behind The Practice of Therapy Podcast and also a group practice owner in Kingsport, TN, Kingsport Counseling Associates. The Practice of Therapy provides resources and tools for starting, growing and scaling private practices. Gordon also has a new podcast, The Kindness and Compassion Podcast that launched in February of 2022 that explores the intersection of psychology, science and spirituality to help people live with more kindness and compassion in their lives.
FREEBIE: Check out the Practice of Therapy Webinars and Training
In This Podcast
- Know your “why”
- Consider your current phase of life
- Income and retirement
- Gordon’s podcast recommendations
Know your “why”
Whenever you want to start a new venture by creating a new stream of income or providing a new service, know why you want to do it.
Do you want to boost your income? How will you use this new income? What is it for? Do you want to serve more people in your niche?
What is going to be a good return on the investment of both [your] time and [your] money? (Gordon Brewer)
Understanding why you want to do something, and adding a new stream of income, will help you to decide whether it is the best use of your time and energy.
Consider your current phase of life
Where are you now, and where do you want to go?
If you create a new stream of income, will you still want to be doing it in five years? Will it be sustainable?
A priority for me at this point is really making sure that the businesses and the practice [are] running smoothly so that I can get it to a place where I can hand it off to the next [chapter]. (Gordon Brewer)
Consider where you currently are in life and the phase that your practice is currently in. Will your new stream of income help you to achieve your goals, help the practice to grow, or something else?
Income and retirement
- Make sure that the employees that you have can still work in the practice as it transitions from one owner to another.
- Can your practice still provide you with a level of income after selling it, such as leasing the building that you own where the practice operates from?
- Which systems can you put into place now to help the practice run while you are no longer working there?
Gordon’s podcast recommendations
- Cryptocurrency: CryptoCasey
- The Greater Good Magazine: The Science of Happiness Podcast
- Business and marketing: Seth Godin’s Akimbo Podcast
- Productivity: Michael Hyatt’s Focus on This Podcast
- NY Times Daily News: The Daily Podcast
- Entertainment: Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen: Renegades: Born in the USA Podcast
- Entertainment: Dolly Parton’s America Podcast
- Entertainment: The Radio Hour Podcast
- Entertainment: Malcolm Gladwell’s Revisionist History Podcast
- Business: Pat Flynn’s Smart Passive Income Podcast
- Business: Joe Sanok’s Practice of the Practice Podcast
- Business: Mike Michalowicz’s Entrepreneurship Elevated Podcast
- Religious: Pray as You Go Podcast
- Uplifting: Van Jones’ Uncommon Ground Podcast
- Alison’s recommendation: How I Built This Podcast
Books mentioned in this episode:
Useful links mentioned in this episode:
- Check out Therapy Notes and Green Oak Accounting
- Visit his counseling website and Practice of Therapy website.
- Listen to The Practice of Therapy Podcast and The Kindness and Compassion Podcast
- Connect with Gordon on Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Get your first 3 months of website service completely FREE. To take advantage of this amazing deal, head to brightervision.com/joe.
Check out these additional resources:
- How to prepare for changes in the economy with Ken Clark | GP 119
- Group Practice Launch
- Group Practice Boss: www.practiceofthepractice.com/grouppracticeboss $149 a month
- Email Alison: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PoP Group Practice Owners Facebook Group
- Free resources to help you start, grow, and scale
- Work with us
- Consult With Alison
- Alison Pidgeon on Therapy for Your Money Podcast
- Practice of the Practice Network
Meet Alison Pidgeon, Group Practice Owner
Alison Pidgeon, LPC is the owner of Move Forward Counseling, a group practice in Lancaster, PA and she runs a virtual assistant company, Move Forward Virtual Assistants.
Alison has been working with Practice of the Practice since 2016. She has helped over 70 therapist entrepreneurs start and grow their businesses, through mastermind groups and individual consulting.
Transformation From A Private Practice To Group Practice
In addition, she is a private practice consultant for Practice of the Practice. Allison’s private practice ‘grew up.’ What started out as a solo private practice in early 2015 quickly grew into a group practice and has been expanding ever since.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!