Do you prioritize self-care and wellness or do you find yourself always on the edge of burnout? Are you scheduling wellness into your routine? What should you do to maintain wellness in a high-stress job?
In the fourth episode of the Diverse Clinicians Series, Joe Sanok speaks about wellness and self-care in high-stress jobs with Dr. Bernice Patterson.
In this Podcast:
- Normalize the need for self-care and maintenance
- Tips for self-care in a high-stress job
- Dr. Bernice Patterson’s advice to private practitioners
Normalize the need for self-care and maintenance
One of the best things that therapists can do to practice wellness and self-care is to acknowledge the fact that practicing as a therapist is difficult right now.
Due to the current state of the world, therapists and their clients are going through similar issues at the same time. Therapists need to admit that they also need to be cared for, and must make space to take care of themselves.
When these people who are not accustomed to struggling are struggling, they oftentimes feel like they’re doing it in isolation, and that they are the only people who are having these struggles. (Dr. Bernice Patterson)
Find a supportive community to be a part of because it supports you while showing you that you are not alone.
4 tips for self-care in a high-stress job
- Find an accountability partner.
- Schedule self-care and wellness into your routine and guard this time.
- What brings you joy? Can you permit yourself to do these things again?
- Give yourself permission to not have everything together at all times.
When you have people who hold you accountable to be kind to [yourself], it’s a lot harder to blow it off. (Dr. Bernice Patterson)
Dr. Bernice Patterson’s advice to private practitioners
You are worth the disruption to the norm, to the preconceived notions of who you are supposed to be and how you are supposed to show up. Fully embrace who you are, step, and stay in your truth.
Useful Links mentioned in this episode:
- When you sign up with Heard, you’ll work directly with financial specialists to track your income and expenses, file taxes online, and grow your business. Sign up now at www.joinheard.com.
- Visit Dr. Patterson’s website and connect on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Check out her previous interview!
Check out these additional resources:
- Diverse Clinicians Series: Making Therapy Easily Accessible to Diverse Populations with Dr. Holly Sawyer | POP 732
- Apply to work together
- Events – click on the event’s dropdown
- Sign up to join the free webinars and events here
- Podcast Launch School
- Practice of the Practice Podcast Network
- Free resources to help you start, grow, and scale
- Apply to work with us — a decision-making matrix for your next steps
Meet Joe Sanok
Joe Sanok helps counselors to create thriving practices that are the envy of other counselors. He has helped counselors to grow their businesses by 50-500% and is proud of all the private practice owners that are growing their income, influence, and impact on the world. Click here to explore consulting with Joe.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!