Are you moving from a full-time job to private practice? Do you experience feeling stuck in the process? How do you maintain your newfound freedom and continue to increase your income?
In this podcast episode, Joe Sanok speaks with Dr. Nate Page about the process of leaving your full-time job for private practice.
Meet Dr. Nate Page
Dr. Nate Page is a group therapist who helps other therapists. He facilitates four different ongoing online process-oriented groups for therapists from all over the world, organizes a large group therapy conference every six months, and runs virtual retreat programs for helping professionals.
Dr. Page is also a licensed psychotherapist, and his own therapy is mostly relational-focused. His primary goal in leading therapy groups is to help clients connect with and fulfill their here-and-now emotional needs.
Visit Group Therapy Central for more group services.
Visit Dr. Page’s Practice Website, Northfield Dynamic Therapy.
In This Podcast
- Balancing full-time with a new private practice
- Overcoming emotional “stuckness”
- How to maintain your newfound freedom
- Dr. Page’s advice to private practitioners
Balancing full-time with a new private practice
Many clinicians who are in the process of switching over from their previous job to their new private practice experience moments of feeling stuck, where the next step takes days or even weeks to complete.
One of the biggest things for me was the emotional stuckness because I was burning out in my job … it felt incompatible: how do I build this private practice on the side … [with] the end goal being able to transition and recover and heal from that burnout. (Dr. Nate Page)
It can feel nearly impossible to create a new project on the side when you are working full-time during your days. Over time, this can impact your emotional as well as mental and physical wellness.
Overcoming emotional “stuckness”
You need to remind yourself that this is a chapter in your work journey and not the whole book itself.
Help yourself overcome a fear of failure by immersing yourself in content that inspires you, and connect with people that have already completed the task that you have before you.
You can speed up the process by taking part in Mastermind groups and hiring a consultant that can help support you and help you to get past the small mistakes and land your goals sooner.
With the knowledge I have now and seeing it in hindsight, it would be like, “oh, if I could shorten that to 12 months or six months, that would have been so much better for me than being stuck so long in that. (Dr. Nate Page)
How to maintain your newfound freedom
Identify and maintain your hard and soft boundaries to help you stay focused on your personal goals and desires.
If you want to keep growing, you can.
I would challenge you to say that whatever your goal is that you think is reasonable, double that for 2022, and then realize that you are smart enough – even if you are flying by the seat of your pants for a little bit – you’re still probably gliding, you’re not going to crash. (Joe Sanok)
Remember that you are capable and that you do not have to settle.
Dr. Page’s advice to private practitioners
For any therapist that feels stuck or knows that they want to start a private practice but does not know where to start, it can be scary, but at the same time, it is totally doable.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Useful Links mentioned in this episode:
- Visit Group Therapy Central for more group services
- Visit Dr. Page’s Practice Website, Northfield Dynamic Therapy
- Buy your FIP Conference Tickets!
- Find out more about Group Practice Launch!
- Blueprint helps clinicians enhance client outcomes through the power and promise of digital measurement-based care. Learn more and request your demo at: bph.link/joe
- Join Noble right now, and you’ll be able to continue using your Noble account for FREE – FOREVER!
Check out these additional resources:
- Andi Buerger is working to stop human trafficking and wants your help | PoP Bonus
- Apply to work together
- Sign up for Next Level Practice — Cohort Open!
- Events – click on the event’s dropdown
- Sign up to join the free webinars and events here
- Podcast Launch School
- Practice of the Practice Podcast Network
- Free resources to help you start, grow, and scale
- Apply to work with us — decision-making matrix for your next steps
Meet Joe Sanok
Joe Sanok helps counselors to create thriving practices that are the envy of other counselors. He has helped counselors to grow their businesses by 50-500% and is proud of all the private practice owners that are growing their income, influence, and impact on the world. Click here to explore consulting with Joe.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!