Are you wanting to sign up for an online therapy directory? What are the other online directory options besides Psychology Today? Have you heard of TherapyDen?
In this podcast episode, Whitney Owens speaks with Jeff Guenther about his Inclusive Online Directory.
Meet Jeff Guenther
Jeff Guenther, LPC, is a therapist in Portland, OR. He has been in private practice since 2005. Jeff is the creator and owner of Portland Therapy Center, a highly ranked therapist directory. Jeff has launched a new progressive therapist directory at TherapyDen that fights racism, homophobia, transphobia, and all other forms of discrimination. Sign up for a profile at TherapyDen.com.
In This Podcast
- TherapyDen versus Psychology Today
- TherapyDen information
- Jeff’s advice to Christian counselors
TherapyDen versus Psychology Today
Even though Psychology Today is a high-ranking online therapy directory, some aspects of it are important to keep in mind when you are deciding on which online directory platform to place your profile:
- Psychology Today as a business is based in the Cayman Islands. Often, businesses that are based in overseas territories skip paying income taxes in their home country.
- Psychology Today displays itself with only a handful of faces and bodies in its marketing. It is very seldom that they stray from their popular images and body types which makes them seem exclusive and unrealistic.
There’s a lot of really weird and random things about that directory that if you just Google it and see all the criticisms it starts to feel kind of funky. They’ve had a monopoly on the business, now it’s time to spread the wealth and boost other therapist directories. (Jeff Guenther)
On the other hand, online directories such as TherapyDen:
- Are registered in their origin country, so they pay the required taxes
- Are free to therapists to create profiles
- Work hard to be inclusive of different body types, gender representation, and work alongside normalcy instead of dissimilarity
- A free, online therapist directory
- Has been active for over three years
- Growing with new profiles every month
- Premium profiles are available on a sliding scale
- A platform that provides opportunities for therapists to blog
Like I’m preaching about authenticity I’m totally authentic about who I am and TherapyDen is too. Our values are justice, fairness, equality, and inclusivity. (Jeff Guenther)
Jeff’s advice to Christian counselors
Lead with your values. Be loud and proud about your values and lead with them in your marketing and how you complete your work. The more you niche down and get honest about your values, the more clients you will attract to your practice.
Useful links mentioned in this episode:
- Check out the Portland Therapy Centre
- Listen to the Swoon Podcast
- Jeff’s article on Psychology Today
- Sign up for a Free TherapyDen Profile.
- Email Whitney: email@example.com
Check out these additional resources:
- 5 Ethical Mistakes Made by Practice Owners with Melissa Wesner and Daniel Mayer | FP 105
- Next Level Practice
- Killin It Camp October 2021
- Join the Faith in Practice Mastermind
- Practice of the Practice Podcast Network
- Group Practice Boss
Meet Whitney Owens
Whitney is a licensed professional counselor and owns a growing group practice in Savannah, Georgia. Along with a wealth of experience managing a practice, she also has an extensive history working in a variety of clinical and religious settings, allowing her to specialize in consulting for faith-based practices and those wanting to connect with religious organizations.
Knowing the pains and difficulties surrounding building a private practice, she started this podcast to help clinicians start, grow, and scale a faith-based practice. She has learned how to start and grow a successful practice that adheres to her own faith and values. And as a private practice consultant, she has helped many clinicians do the same.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!
Faith in Practice is part of the Practice of the Practice Podcast Network, a network of podcasts that are changing the world. To hear other podcasts like Empowered and Unapologetic, Bomb Mom, Imperfect Thriving, Marketing a Practice or Beta Male Revolution, go to practiceofthepractice.com/network.