Why should you want to start multiple online income streams? What are some things you can create to start selling online? How do you build an email list and why is it important?
In this podcast episode, Whitney Owens speaks with Marissa Lawton on building an email list to sell a product and multiple online income streams.
Meet Marissa Lawton
Marissa Lawton is a licensed counselor who also happened to graduate from a top 20 business school – and she really loves integrating both her hard and soft skills. She is a corporate trained strategist, marketer, and offers Creation Whisperer who lights up walking fellow clinicians through building aligned businesses beyond private practice.
Marissa is the creator of Side Hustle Support Group, a 6-month mentorship that helps therapists repackage and repurpose their current clinical skills into an impactful online income stream. She also hosts a self-study program called Space Holder that captures therapists’ creative energy and teaches them to develop their fist lucrative container outside of the therapy room.
In This Podcast
- Why have online income streams
- Examples of online income streams
- Always sell before you create
- How to build an email list
- Know, like and trust
- Email marketing platforms
Why have online income streams
When you’re working in sessions, 1-on-1, eventually there is going to be an income and impact ceiling. The market sets the price and you won’t be able to push your price up any higher. So the only way to make more money is to see more clients or go into a group practice.
The other option is to choose what your caseload looks like in terms of 1-on1 clients and then coming up with an online income stream to supplement a smaller caseload/group of clients. If you choose to see only 10 clients, your online income stream can make up the remainder of the caseload or even surpass it.
Examples of online income streams
How involved do you want to be with your customers? How much money do you want to make? How much time do you want to spend marketing?
This is more lucrative than therapy but you are still spending time 1-on-1 so you’re still going to hit that time and income ceiling.
- Teaching one to a few
- More involvement in the program will equate to less marketing that needs to be done
- Less involvement with clients
- Passive income
- More cost-effective (sales dependant)
- Establish how much profit you want to generate
- Teaching takes place in a larger group
- Less interaction
- Books mentioned in this episode
Always sell before you create
Never create your program before you sell it.
You must be sure to have a concept for your program. There are 4 solid concepts:
- The person that it is for
- Problem that it will solve for that person
- The promise that it makes
- The price
How to build an email list
It’s not about the number on your email list. It’s about the relationship between the people on your email list and their interest in your offer.
Once you know the person, problem and the promise of your offer, you should design your email list to be tightly related to your offer.
- Have an email opt-in such as a freebie, a lead magnet or a giveaway
- It is an exchange of value for the time they’re going to take to read your email
- Promote your email list on your own platform, but also get in front of other people’s audiences such as write a guest blog or be interviewed on another podcast
- Host a Summit with other people related to your niche
Know, like and trust
They need to know what you do, they need to like you, be excited to learn from you and then trust that you are going to get them the results.
Email marketing platforms
If you only have time to do one thing, always start with an email list.
- Convert Kit
- Active Campaign
Space Holder – this is a weekend course that will help you channel your creative energy. You will go from having an ambiguous idea to a concrete plan.
Side Hustle – this is a 6 month mentorhsip which takes you from offer all the way through to audience building and marketing plan.
Books mentioned in this episode
- Katie Bailey on Starting and Growing a Faith-based Practice | FP 20
- Killin’It Camp
- Grow Your Practice to a Group Practice with Start and Scale a Group Practice Mastermind!
- Email Whitney: email@example.com
- Faith In Practice Facebook Group
- Free resources to help you start, grow and scale
- Apply to work with Whitney
- Consult With Whitney
Meet Whitney Owens
Whitney is a licensed professional counselor and owns a growing group practice in Savannah, Georgia. Along with a wealth of experience managing a practice, she also has an extensive history working in a variety of clinical and religious settings, allowing her to specialize in consulting for faith-based practices and those wanting to connect with religious organizations.
Knowing the pains and difficulties surrounding building a private practice, she started this podcast to help clinicians start, grow, and scale a faith-based practice. She has learned how to start and grow a successful practice that adheres to her own faith and values. And as a private practice consultant, she has helped many clinicians do the same.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!
Faith in Practice is part of the Practice of the Practice Podcast Network, a network of podcasts that are changing the world. To hear other podcasts like Empowered and Unapologetic, Bomb Mom, Imperfect Thriving, Marketing a Practice or Beta Male Revolution, go to practiceofthepractice.com/network.