Are you experiencing the growing pains of developing and running a private practice? Do you need help finding your ideal client? Why does niching down help your practice to thrive?
In this podcast episode, LaToya Smith speaks about how to overcome private practice growing pains.
- Consider joining Mastermind groups
- Find your niche
- How to find your ideal client
- Marketing basics
Consider joining Mastermind groups
I love a Mastermind group because I love the idea of accountability. (LaToya Smith)
Accountability can help you fast-track your goals and ambitions exponentially because they provide you with wisdom, resources, and encouragement.
You work alongside people who are at your level, and you help one another to grow and develop together.
One big growing pain of private practice is feeling alone. Being part of a Mastermind not only solves this issue but also provides you with a community of like-minded people who share your dreams and cheer for your successes.
I just love that part of Mastermind work, that camaraderie, that connection, and [the desire] to see each other win and do better. (LaToya Smith)
Find your niche
Many practice owners avoid niching down because they do not want to exclude potential clients for fear that it will be detrimental to their practice, but that is far from the truth.
[Even with niching down] you will still get calls from everybody, even people outside your niche because once word gets around about how great you are as a therapist … they’re going to call you regardless of whether they have the same issue. (LaToya Smith)
Niching down is the key to a thriving practice, satisfied clients, and like-minded therapists.
When you work within your niche, you define yourself as an expert in that area, and people want to work with experts to remedy their struggles.
To find your niche, ask yourself:
- Which client could you see every day to help resolve their issues, without you feeling drained or worn down?
- Which client brings you energy?
- Which problems that people face are you passionate to resolve?
How to find your ideal client
Work through these questions:
- What is the ideal age of the client that you want to see?
- Are they male or female?
- Are they married or single?
- Do they work?
- What hobbies do they do in their downtime?
- What do they value?
- Which goals do they have?
- What is their struggle? What are they trying to overcome?
- What are the answers they are looking for in life?
I want you to work through those questions if you have yet to find out who your ideal client is, really work through [this]. That’s going to [also] help you figure out what your niche is. (LaToya Smith)
You need to get in front of your client.
- Where are they spending their time? Which social media platforms do they use?
If you want to market to your ideal client, you need to make sure that you are spending time on the platforms that they use.
Here your niche becomes important again.
- For which reasons will your ideal client come to you for? What do you want them to experience when they interact with your brand?
You have to be consistent with your marketing. Be consistent with your format, your color scheme, and your font, but also with your social media posting.
- How do you stand out? What is different about your practice?
- Repost and broadcast your friend’s practices and have them share yours. Network with the right people, and help one another to grow.
- Offer something small for free.
Useful Links mentioned in this episode:
- For an exclusive offer for my listeners go to magbreakthrough.com/practice and use practice during checkout to save 10% and get free shipping.
- Slow Down School ticket are on sale now
- Get this 28-step checklist for starting a practice
Check out these additional resources:
- How to improve your intake call to get more private pay clients with Nikki Rausch | PoP 709
- Apply to work together
- Sign up for Next Level Practice — Cohort Open!
- Events – click on the event’s dropdown
- Sign up to join the free webinars and events here
- Podcast Launch School
- Practice of the Practice Podcast Network
- Free resources to help you start, grow, and scale
- Apply to work with us — a decision-making matrix for your next steps
Meet Joe Sanok
Joe Sanok helps counselors to create thriving practices that are the envy of other counselors. He has helped counselors to grow their businesses by 50-500% and is proud of all the private practice owners that are growing their income, influence, and impact on the world. Click here to explore consulting with Joe.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!