We all know the deal with self-care and the importance of being able to care for yourself, so you can show up for your clients and your family. But how do you fit this in when you are beginning your practice and you are a running everything yourself? Well, just the same way that you make showing up to your sessions a priority, and how it is blocked off in your calendar, you do the same for yourself!
Here are Some Tips When Trying to Implement a Self-Care Routine:
In your calendar block off times for the following and respect that time! If you don’t respect it, then no one else will!
- Five-fifteen minutes in between sessions to drink water, take a deep breath, use the restroom if necessary, and to stretch your legs and back out.
- Give yourself time to eat lunch and dinner
o Especially if you have late evening sessions
o Pack yourself a healthy meal
o Meal prep one day out of the week if needed
o Schedule time to go to the grocery store
- Schedule when you are going to the gym or getting some exercise in
o Make it fun and enjoyable
o Don’t over complicate it
o Make it at least 30 minutes a day
- Set reminders to go to bed at night
o If you have a smart home features, schedule for your lights to dim at a certain time
o Have an alarm on your phone go off at a time to start winding down
o Implement a going to bed routine
- Set boundaries and time limits for when you are going to check your emails
o This is similar to setting time limits for other distractions (Facebook notifications and Online marketing)
- Give yourself a time limit of when you are putting your laptop and phone away so you can spend quality time with friends and family.
- Schedule in a date night with your significant other
- Schedule in a night out with friends
- Plan when you are going to take care of house responsibilities (i.e. cutting the grass, doing laundry, cleaning your home)
By engaging in these activities to meet your basic needs, it will allow you to feel more in control of your day to day activities and is one less thing that you must worry about doing because it is already in your calendar.
Another fun time is that with so much technology in our lives, blocking off these times and setting reminders is so easy to do! You can utilize technology to help you out.
When I began making my health a priority, I felt like I was able to show up as a better therapist to my clients. I also felt more in control as a business owner. It takes a lot of practice and discipline, but it is possible.
If you find this difficult to do, then it is important to ask for help! See what other therapists are doing in your community or on the Facebook page.
Priscilla Rodriguez is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who owns a private practice, Modern Wellness Counseling, in San Antonio, TX. She works with couples and individuals who are wanting to enhance their relationships and connections with others. She offers online services and an online relationship class; which couples can learn a multitude of research-based relationship skills.